Make your own ketchup & mustard and take burger night at your place to the next level. Fresh, simple and without any additives these burgers are in a league of their own.
Prep time 10 minutes (plus macerating)
Cook 1 hour
- 180g minced beef patty, seasoned with salt and pepper
- 1 Martin's Famous Potato Roll, toasted lightly
- Sliced pickles
- A few rings of thinly sliced red onion
- 1 salad leaf, such as cos, shredded
- 50g yellow mustard seeds
- 100ml apple cider vinegar
- 2½ tablespoons white wine
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Honey, to taste (optional)
- 3 tarragon sprigs, leaves picked
- Olive oil, for cooking
- 1 brown onion, chopped
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- ½ fresh chilli, deseeded and chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, smashed and peeled
- 1kg deep red overripe tomatoes, skinned and chopped, or 1kg tinned tomatoes
- 1 bunch fresh basil, leaves picked
- 50g sugar
- 2½ tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Sea salt
NOTE: Pour ketchup into sterilised bottles while it’s still hot. Ketchup will keep for 2 weeks in the refrigerator.
1. To make the mustard, combine all of the ingredients except the tarragon in a container and set aside in the refrigerator for 2–3 days to macerate. Blitz in a blender with the tarragon leaves and return to the refrigerator for one more day to mellow.
2. To make the ketchup, put a splash of olive oil in a heavybased saucepan over medium–low heat. Sauté the onion, celery, chilli and garlic until soft, then add tomatoes and cook for 45 minutes to 1 hour over low heat.
3. Stir in the basil and blend, in batches, in a food processor until smooth (be careful, it’s very hot). Return the purée to the saucepan and add the sugar, vinegar and pepper. Cook over low heat until the sauce is reduced to a thick consistency. Season with sea salt.
4. Heat a barbecue or chargrill pan to medium–high and grill the beef patty for 2 minutes on each side for medium-rare.
5. Assemble the burger: spread mustard on the base of the toasted bun, top with the beef patty and ketchup. Add sliced pickles and onion and top with shredded lettuce. Finish with the top of the toasted bun and serve.