Portuguese Peri Peri Marinated Butterflied Whole Chicken - 1.6kg
This is the most succulent chicken you’ll ever cook on a barbeque!
Peri Peri (also spelled/pronounced piri piri) is the name of a type of chili, and also the name of the fiery and tasty sauce made using that chili.
In Portugal, 'Frango assado con piri-piri' is iconic. It is a simple mix of chicken cooked over coals basted with the fiery flavour bomb sauce - Peri Peri. It’s hard to find any food operator in Portugal that doesn’t have it for sale. These chickens are certainly not turned by rotisserie, they are always and without fail turned by hand on a flat BBQ grill.
We are giving you everything you need to make this authentic Portuguese classic at home. A beautiful La Ionica chemical-free chicken marinated in a mind-blowing peri peri sauce.
If you can't get to the BBQ, you can bake your chicken in the oven and still yield an incredible result.
- Pre-heat your oven to 190 degrees Celsius/fan 170 degrees Celsius/gas
- Lay your chicken flat on a lightly oiled baking tray & cover loosely with aluminum foil
- Cook for 1 hour
- Remove the aluminum foil and allow the chicken to cook for a further 10 minutes. This will ensure the skin is crisp & golden. If you have a temperature probe, it should reach 75 degrees Celsius at the thickest part of the thigh
- Remove the chicken from the oven and let it rest for a further 10 minutes
- Cut chicken into segments and serve with a generous amount of fresh lemon segments and Peri Peri sauce
Feeds 4 people